Wednesday, December 2, 2009

At least one down...

The damaged rim:

After being repaired:


After fighting all urges yesterday to just sit back and admire my new car, I am proud to report that I actually got a number of errands done. I was able to attend to my other banking transactions, drop by the grocery, and even visit my tailor. Did I fail to mention that I also had time for a late snack of my now favorite Razon's halo-halo, albeit at the Paseo de Santa Rosa branch in Laguna. I admit that there were at least a couple of much, much nearer outlets I could have gone to, but where's the excitement in that?

I had a perfectly good reason though to travel that far for a halo-halo. I needed to do a post-repair test drive. One of my major concerns was that the car came with a damaged front right rim. The topmost picture does not do justice to how bad it actually was and being on the steering end, the safety angle was something I wanted to address at once. The thought of just buying a new set of shoes altogether had crossed my mind but these are original BMW BBS mags and it would be a waste to just let it go. Besides, with a lot more expenses anticipated, I could surely use the money for other needs.

So late yesterday, after the turnover and loading a full tank of gas, I went to a nearby tire shop whose services I once used to repair a puncture. WalterWheel is well-known and highly recommended for magwheel repairs. Having arrived at the shop past 4pm, my plan was just to get an estimate and schedule the work for another day. To my surprise they said they could do it immediately and after agreeing on what I thought was a reasonable price, I told them to go ahead.

Sometimes I cannot believe what small, local shops like this can do. If abroad, you would expect to see a whole array of modern equipment to tackle a similar problem but in this case, the rim was literally hammer-beaten, welded, sanded, and painted in the backyard. And to think the guy did nor even bother to use ear or eye protectors. Wearing a tanktop at that! Just all in a day's work for them. Without any tinge of sarcasm, I take my hat off to the fortitude and constitution of these men.

Anyway, the finished product is in the lower picture and as you can see, this particular wheel is almost good as new. In fact, it now looks better than the other three but I'm not too worried about the unmatched look since I plan to have them all repainted anyway.

One problem solved...

No comments:

Post a Comment