Saturday, February 20, 2010

Done what I can...

Since most of the refurbished interior parts are back with me, I have been adding my own improvements to the work done on them.  That's not saying they are bad, just my share of input as to how I think they can look their best.  For instance, the door siding material is totally new but the door handles and latches are the old original ones.  I am keeping them because they are very expensive to replace and even if I wanted to, are actually hard to find.  It would be fair to assume that they are the same age as the car and therefore showing signs of wear.  The color is faded and the foam rubber inner lining is getting separated from its plastic frame resulting in a splayed fit.  Using my ever trusty Forever Black dye, I was able to bring back the proper blackness to the handles and latches.  However, restoring the shape proved to be a more difficult task.  In the end, a few lengths of string and super glue did the trick.  I spread the glue inside the handle (between the foam and plastic frame) then tied the ends together using the string to maintain pressure on the bond.  Checking on the result after about an hour, I was happy to see that there was a dramatic change as to how the handle now fits more snugly to its slot.

Before:
After:

I also redyed the front seat frames to restore their color.  This was especially applicable to the seatbacks, adjustment levers and knobs.  It would not be comensurate to have the plastic bits look faded while the seat fabric is brand new. 

The front ashtray was another problem spot.  Although the ashtray itself was in good shape, it seemed that a previous owner was a smoker which made the inside full of burn marks from stubbed cigarettes.  From my perspective, it still had a disgusting look even after a thorough scrubbing.  I found out I could dismantle the front cover from the tray so I decided to sand it down and then repaint from grey to black.  After polishing the chrome trim, the whole thing looked good as new.


With these and some other smaller jobs completed, I feel I have done all I can for the meantime.  Any subsequent tasks requires having the car already on hand.  Which brings up the latest status check. 


Those with a keen eye will notice that both front fenders are now buffed.  The hood is still being worked on but should be done shortly.  Just before I left, they started jacking up the car in order to prepare for painting both the mags and wheelwells.  They are the last major painting tasks left.



I have been told that reassembly may begin soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment