Monday, February 15, 2010

The shine is coming through...


Most of the parts that I left behind for refurbishment at the auto interior shop have been done.  I took home a number of them for the reassembly phase since they're either needed to operate the car safely, get access to the various operational functions, or to contrast the results of the work with the desired overall look.  I have both front seats so that if I need to do a test drive with one of the mechanics, it will be safe to do so.  The whole center console is ready so that the a/t shifter, speed selector, and aircon ducts can be attached as well as the electronics for the power windows and lighter.  I need the sidings for opening the doors.  The grey fabric accent on them has been replaced and the whole section reinforced by bolting the trim to the frame.  It was previously just glued together, making it prone to becoming detached over time.  Generally, I'm quite happy with the results but the final determinant will be when everything is in place.  I had thought that taking apart everything was hard enough, but now I realize that reassembly is an even greater logistical nightmare because there is little room for error.  Once everything is back in place, it will not be easy (or cheap) to rectify mistakes.

The first of four stages of the final paint buffing was done today.  Because the car was still dirty and sprinkled with dust from the compound being used, I did not realize at first that the left side was already finished until I happened to get a closer look and then saw that beneath the dust, the shine was already out.


I stayed to watch the right side being worked on.


And the result was this:


Running my fingers through the surface, I could feel that there was still some roughness in the paint which will need to be buffed out.  This is not unusual as each additional buffing will continue to remove any surface imperfections and deepen the shine further.  Even at this early stage, it seems the workmanship has been better than I expected...

No comments:

Post a Comment